Before we can make this all star calendula salve recipe, we first need to make the calendula oil. Don’t worry, it’s easy, peasy. Just make sure you get high quality calendula flowers. You can use store bought dried flowers or harvest them from your garden. If you’re using fresh flowers make sure to let them dried up a little bit by spreading them on a flat surface in a dry room. The reason for this precaution is that we want to prevent these precious flowers from molding before we even get to make our oil.
Calendula Oil Recipe
Enough fresh or dried calendula petals (or full flowers) to fill a jam jar.
250 ml (4.5 fl. oz.) Olive Oil (or jojoba oil) or more to cover all the petals.
- Fill a clean jam jar with calendula petals and pour olive oil over the top, completely covering the petals. If using dried flowers, close the jar with the lid immediately. If using fresh flowers, cover the jar mouth with a piece of paper towel secured by a rubber band for 3-4 days to prevent molding. After 3-4 days have passed, remove paper towel and rubber band and close jar normally with its lid.
- Store jar in a dark place. Shake it daily for 2 weeks. No problem if you forget to do it everyday.
- Lay cheesecloth over the top of a glass cup and secure it with a rubber band. Slowly, and I mean slowly pour the olive oil through the cheesecloth. If you pour it too fast, it’ll run off the sides.
Calendula Salve Recipe
250 ml (8.5 fl.oz) calendula oil
60g (2oz.) Beeswax
10 drops of Lavender essential oil (or Tea tree)
- Set up a water bath. Pour the strained oil into the top part and add the beeswax.
- Bring the water bath to a full boil and leave it on a full boil until the beeswax has melted.
- After the beeswax has completely melted, let it cool a bit and, before it starts to congeal, add 10 drops of Lavender essential oil. Mix well.
- Pour your still liquid salve into a jar. I use 50 ml (2 fl.oz.) jars.
- Let cool and congeal uncovered.
- Close the jar and label it.
- Store it in a cool and dry place.
The salve should last about 1 year if the olive oil used was fresh.
Get Subscriber-Only Content
As a subscriber, you get content found nowhere on this website plus post updates.